« Top 17 Country & Western Songs | Main | Escape to Obion: The Alchemist's Notebook »

January 26, 2006

Escape to Obion: The Hidden Map

One week later, here is the sequel to 'Obion', with about 5 times the number of puzzles and interactivity as the previous one.

As in the first game, one of the guiding principles was to have the puzzles be unique and challenging, but also to have them be solvable through 'brute-force' clicking around just in case they're too tough for any particular player (although for some of the puzzles that could take hours).

One of the other principles is that the narrative should never move backward (as in a failure to complete a particular puzzle having the result of forcing the player to a previous game-state). This only frustrates gameplay by forcing the player to do a lot of mindless and repetitive clicking to get back to where they were before.

Another has to do with perspective - the player can never turn around, and when it's necessary to back up, that's done with the down arrow that is in the same place on every screen. The motivation is to make navigation simple and never let it interfere with the gameplay.

A fourth has to do with the style of interaction. We decided to make this a 'click-only' game with no inventory and no dragging of items; the only exception are a couple of places where typing in of passwords is necessary. One of the essential aspects of casual games is that they need to be immediately accessable; that is, they cannot require any learning by the player before beginning - no instructions, no special key commands, etc. Those things are not bad in themselves, but games that require the user to learn how to play are not casual games.

The game style is also limited to non-time-based interaction, which is typical of the point-and-click adventure genre. It can be frustrating to users to suddenly come across an arcade-style puzzle in the middle of an otherwise action-free game.

Lastly, we wanted this game to be as language-neutral as possible. The Internet audience is multilingual, and creating content in only one language effectively shuts out potential users/viewers. This game has English-language preface and conclusion text, but neither is necessary to play and enjoy the game. Some of the puzzles do use English words, but in those cases, knowledge of the meanings of the words is not necessary. The semantics are irrelevant and the words are used only as sequences of symbols.

Note to everyone who completes this game (or who try and then give up). This is a new series, and future episodes will be designed based on comments on earlier episodes. So, please feel free to say what you liked or didn't like in the game - what you found too easy, or what you thought was too frustrating or complicated.

Posted by mslaybau at January 26, 2006 06:18 AM

Comments

Hi, I am Johnny B from Johnnybdesign.com

I just wanted to let you know that your games are being hotlinked on this site. http://yadayada.hex.com.br

Hotlinking means that the guy creates his own webpage and puts your .swf in it.

Therefore, he is using your work on his own website for his own purpose but uses your bandwidth. This should concerning you, especially since there is no link in your game that redirects to your website or gives you credits...

He is more or less doing this for every game that he finds, including mine. If this issue concerns you, don't hesitate to drop me line and we will see what action we can do

Johnnyb@johnnybdesign.com

Posted by: JB at January 27, 2006 02:43 PM

I'm one of those point-and-click adventure and escape the room fans. I like your "Escape to Obion"-games very much. The community is waiting for the next challenge so please be quick :-)
Congratulations so far!!!

Posted by: Mystery at January 27, 2006 02:58 PM

The first game was great. I load this one up and the colors look like something out of the Apple 2 era. Looks like 16 colors, really crappy. Looked at some screenshots and can't figure out how those look so polished compared to when I pull the game up. Using 98SE, MSN and a dial up. Its pretty much unplayable with 16 colors. Looked at the swf file and it reads as around 1.2 megs.

Am I missing something?

Posted by: Michael at January 27, 2006 07:19 PM

Russian lang.
Уважаемый автор игры!
Очень понравилась первая часть игры.
25 января удалось закончить и вторую часть.
Однако 26 января в игру были внесены изменения-и теперь не удается разрешить одну из последних загадок-смотри ссылку- see screenshot
На скриншоте видно,что загадка решена правильно.Однако сейф НЕ ОТКРЫВАЕТСЯ.
Убедительно прошу сообщить - это баг,или Вы изменили общую логику решения?
Заранее спасибо Михаил
mvk53@yandex.ru
newflamingo@yandex.ru

Posted by: Mikhael at January 27, 2006 07:53 PM

Hello. Just wanted to add something to previous post. We solved all puzzles. ALL.... and last one too. But unfortunately we can't open box with colors and numbers puzzle. We just want to know.
DId you change something in game again?..or its problem as we saw yesterday.
Best regards,
Vick and Mickail
mvk53@yandex.ru
newflamingo@yandex.ru

Posted by: Victoria and Mikhail at January 27, 2006 08:14 PM

Hi Vick and Mikhael, there aren't any bugs with the colors/numbers puzzle - once you make it to that point you just have to get the right combination to get inside. All the clues are in the other puzzles. I could give it away but I don't want to spoil the fun

Posted by: Matt at January 27, 2006 08:49 PM

I have finaly comleted the game

Posted by: rambo at January 28, 2006 09:13 AM

WE have finally opened last puzzle without destroy our mouses by clicking 6-),.. Thank you, Matt.
Hope, next Episode we will see very soon.
the harder it will be, the better for us.
Best wishes from players of Russia and Israel

Posted by: Victoria and Mikhail at January 28, 2006 01:25 PM

I don't get to point of this game!!!!

Posted by: me at January 28, 2006 03:39 PM

Hear is the translation of the Russain post(some of it is still in Russain):

The dear author of game!
The first part of game has very much liked.
On January, 25th it was possible to finish and the second part.
However on January, 26th changes s have been brought in game now is not possible to resolve one of last riddles-look ссылку-see screenshot
http: // img300.imageshack.us/img300/1341/factorialnew3gg.jpg
On a screenshot it is visible, that the riddle is solved correctly. However the safe DOES NOT OPEN.
Convincingly I ask to inform is a bug, or you have changed the general logic of the decision?
In advance thanks Michael
mvk53@yandex.ru
newflamingo@yandex.ru

Posted by: Allen at January 29, 2006 03:40 PM

Thanks Allen,
I was in touch with Michael, and he had correctly identified a bug in an earlier version of the game. But that's been fixed and what's on the site is now free of bugs.

Matt

Posted by: Matt at January 29, 2006 03:48 PM

can not get the colours and numbers been on it for hours somebody please help me please???????

Posted by: ann at February 7, 2006 03:34 PM

Russian lang.

Михаил, не могли бы вы мне помочь, раз уж вы прошли все этапы игры. Не могу понять что нужно делать, там где что-то наподобии гитарной струны, и надписи какие-то "Lodes One". Хотелось бы хотя бы понять что нужно делать.

Posted by: Viktor at February 8, 2006 06:55 AM

hi, can somebody give me help !
What do I actualy have to do in the part where is writen LODES ONE? Where do I have to put the grey points ? Thank you.

Posted by: gabi at February 8, 2006 07:52 AM

Ok so I'm a little late to the party but I'm having issues with the green bulb on the light bulbs puzzle. There's only one orientation of the centre column of wiring that allows access to both the button and the bulb, but no combination of the other columns will link them.

Damn your addictive game! I've done everything else it's possible to do without that green bulb lit. I hope you get this and can help. I'd post a screen shot but I'm not sure it'd make any more sense than my description and to be honest I can't be bothered.

Posted by: Jules at February 11, 2006 12:00 PM

Mikhail, you not could to me soak, once already you passed all stages of game. I cannot understand that necessary to make, there where something of napodobii of gitarnoy string, and inscriptions are some "Lodes One". It would be desirable at least to understand that necessary to make

Posted by: me at February 11, 2006 03:08 PM

sorry,my last post is a translation of the last Russain post, just so I don't have to do this, the translation site is: http://babelfish.altavista.com/tr

Posted by: me at February 11, 2006 03:12 PM

I like so much Escape to Obion.
But I'm stuck with 2 puzzles in episode 2. I dont understand wath to do the screen with colors letters and seven boutons at top and seven at left.
Help me please.

Posted by: Leblanc at February 11, 2006 05:33 PM

How can this be solved????
The purple bulb at the bottom left has no passage! nothing joins up with it!

Posted by: Zoe at February 16, 2006 12:06 PM

Didnt see the things at the side

my bad...

Posted by: Zoe at February 16, 2006 12:07 PM

Hi!

I have problems with some of puzzles: screen with words "lodes one" and screen with colors letters. Can you help me, please?

Thanks

Posted by: Vanesa at February 17, 2006 09:01 AM

Please somebody can to say me how open the safe outside where de puzzle with letters and nombers colors screen ?

lili43@oricom.ca

Posted by: Leblanc at February 22, 2006 05:03 AM

OK, I got past the lights (the trick is to use the triggers to rotate the rows of circles) but
I'm stuck on the circle thingy with squares and I can't make head nor tail of the box with the puzzle next to it at the beginning - any hints guys?

Posted by: Ducky at February 28, 2006 05:06 PM

to ducky... there's a specific order to the crcle and squares... if you press the wrong one .. you have to start over... it's like a trial and error... oh yeah.. you just only have to press the buttons once, once you get its respective square to light up

Posted by: eileen at March 3, 2006 04:20 PM

Hi, I'm lost about the "solution" to the "puzzle" of the "lodes one". Is this a really a puzzle? there are a real solution? Or is this just to informe some clue?

Thanks..(oh! My english is very bad, I know...I'm Brazilian man)

Posted by: Heathcliff at March 8, 2006 10:22 AM

\o/ I finshed this game...uhuuuLLL

E que venha o episódio 3...heheeh

Bye

Posted by: Heathcliff at March 8, 2006 10:51 AM

lightbulbchrisis.... severe lightbulbchrisis...
I cannot for the life of me find the right combo for the second from the left... heeeelp

-maja

Posted by: maja at March 21, 2006 05:39 AM

nevermind... tried to link it to the wrong frikkin btton... feel stupid...

Posted by: maja at March 21, 2006 05:47 AM

Hi, I can't find out a crucial bit of information for cracking the safe combination. I have the numbers, from the flag puzzle aboard the ship, but not the colours. Whereas other symbols have been associated with coloured lightbulbs, these four have not.

I have played the whole game through again and still can't find what I have missed. I am so enjoying my first venture into the world of point and click and want to finish this level before moving on to EscapeIII.

It's a beautfully made game and a pleasure to play, so many thanks to the author.

Posted by: Shrike at March 23, 2006 12:26 AM

There are two puzzles to help you. One links all letters to numbers, the other links letters to colors. Put the two together and you get numbers to colors. Hint: remember the word you had to type in to get the symbols to numbers.

Posted by: anonymous at March 23, 2006 12:35 AM

Duh!
Thanks, anonymous, should have seen that myself. Was so fixated on the idea that I must have missed a puzzle somehwhere!
Great game. On to the next one...

Posted by: Shrike at March 23, 2006 02:43 PM

Hi Shrike, thanks for the kudos. I hope you enjoy #3 as much as the others - many have found it the most difficult of the series.

Posted by: Matt at March 23, 2006 11:13 PM

F**K WE'RE 'BOUT TO PULL OUR HAIR OUT WUTS UP WITH THE FRIGGIN' LODES ONE, LODE ONE, ODES ONE...WE DON'T GET THE DOTS BLAHHHH....HELP OHH YEAH AND ALSO THE CROSSWORD A LIL' HINT PLEASE WELL....THIS GAME IS FRUSTRATING BUT COO.. SO KEEP ON \m/(O_o)\m/ [rockin!]

Posted by: SHAY N' KAY at April 3, 2006 06:56 AM

I cant figure it out..is can see the flags with all the numbers, there are so many!!..i know about the colors: s o red, e yellow, d o green, t h light bleu, l e dark bleu..

And then i block..please help

Bianca The netherlands..

Posted by: Bianca at April 3, 2006 07:07 AM

can somebody please help..

Are the colors green/l bleu/yellow/red??? in that order?

Posted by: Bianca at April 3, 2006 07:20 AM

how do i get the red light bulb

Posted by: Danny at April 14, 2006 05:23 PM

Still dont know how puzzle of lodes one goes , please send me a hint, for a long time I have been here clogged and I am almost rendering and close the game. HELP

Posted by: peri at May 2, 2006 04:14 PM

I can't figure out the puzzle with the symbols, I've been trying all sorts of combinations. Please someone help me, I don't care if you spoil the puzzle but please help.

Posted by: Nadia at May 2, 2006 07:30 PM

Hey guys!

I have the same problem as the russian guy had. I have solved the puzzle of colours and numbers in accordance with the radar screen, but nothing happened :S Is it still a bug???

Some hint for all of you:
Loads one - Get grey dots on every coloumn!
Light bulbs - order of the buttons is not the same as the order of the bulbs!
Radar Screen - Push the buttons in the right order.
The rest of the are not so hard, so you can figure it out.

one more - what about the 4x4 in the car?

Posted by: Don_Bandika at June 1, 2006 04:11 AM

Me again :S

Still nothing happened when I completed the coloured letters, only that I was able to open the console. I mached the symboles to numbers (0,2,1,3) and mached the numbers to colors (lightblue, blue, red, green) but agian, nothing :S
Whats the problem??

Posted by: Don_Bandika at June 1, 2006 05:15 AM

never mind!
Completed ;)

Posted by: Don_Bandika at June 1, 2006 06:44 AM

I don't get the damn thing with the damn grey little perle or waht ever. there has to be a logic to click but I don't have a clue, please give me a hint, *beg on my knees*

Posted by: iGnatZ at June 21, 2006 08:31 AM

Lo conseguí. Si necesitas alguna pista estaré en el tercer nivel. Buena suerte.
Apasionante el juego, enhorabuena a su creador.

Posted by: Ignacio at July 22, 2006 05:47 AM

______________________________________________
Some of the puzzles do use English words, but
in those cases, knowledge of the meanings of
the words is not necessary..
______________________________________________

But knowledge of the existence of an fairly
uncommon english word is necessary. A non-english
speaker would most likely not recognise "LODES
ONE" as "LODESTONE" with the "T" missing and
therefore would miss the BLUE : "T" association.

I am English born and missed this for over an hour.

Posted by: steve at August 9, 2006 05:45 PM

Hi I'm a Korean student.
It's so hard game. I don't touch the second game. But My friend helped me, I seek letters.

But I don't know a colorful words problem. My opinion is the LODES ONE help me to solve that.

Please help me(plz sending to my E-mail)

Posted by: Chan-joo Lee at October 29, 2006 07:58 AM